Meet Mikaila O’Brien, Senior Consultant at CGC Recruitment
Mikaila’s experience as a Senior Consultant has allowed her to gain a deep understanding of her clients’ needs, helping her to match the most talented candidates.
Since joining CGC Recruitment at the beginning of 2018, Mikaila has specialised in Business Support recruitment for the Property, Engineering, and Design phases of the construction industry. She recruits for temporary and permanent roles covering administration support, accounting/finance, HR, and marketing across the construction and engineering disciplines.
Today, Mikaila is sharing her in-depth recruiter insights on market trends and explaining where the candidate demand currently lies.
Talent shortage is a chronic problem
As we head into 2022, the continued disruption of Covid-19 - along with limited border restrictions - has created skill shortages in certain sectors.
Right now, we’re seeing an overwhelming shortage of skilled candidates across our many disciplines, including our back office support sector. Lockdowns and the increasing desire to have flexible work arrangements has prompted many to re-evaluate their current jobs, adding to the candidate short pressure.
But while there are many challenges, we also see great opportunities - particularly for jobseekers. Due to the incredibly competitive market, candidates are in a favourable position to negotiate higher salaries.
Types of roles in demand
If you’re looking for new opportunities in 2022, it’s crucial to understand what types of roles are high in demand. With the workforce slowly returning to the office a few days a week, we’re now seeing an increase in executive support and general administration roles.
We’ve examined the market trends and identified the top 6 types of roles that clients are recruiting for:
- InDesign graphics: With the unyielding nature of the construction industry and the amount of work being tendered for, candidates with experience across InDesign and graphics are achieving strong career growth after a short amount of time. To break into these roles, you need a portfolio of work examples in infrastructure utilising InDesign.
- Receptionists (especially contract receptionists) are now in need as businesses re-open to welcome their clients and guests.
- Accounting has recently been procured offshore for cost saving benefits, but there’s still some movement in these teams as people are looking for more flexibility through work-from-home arrangements.
- Human Resources: There’s a demand across all levels of HR, in particular:
- HR administrators
- HR coordinators
- HR advisers
- HR managers
- Finance roles include:
- credit controllers
- assistant accountants
- accounts managers
- finance managers
- financial controllers
- On site roles include the function of back office administration, but the work can also occur onsite. Roles include:
- site administrators
- project administrators
- project administration accounting
We’re on the search for talent
Are you looking to advance your career?
As a specialist recruiter in construction and engineering, CGC partners with clients to achieve positive professional and commercial outcomes. Our clientele ranges from infrastructure providers, such as John Holland and ACOM, to fit out refurbishment companies, like Growthbuilt and MPA.
In addition to the array of roles specified above, there’s also significant demand for the following job functions - which provide the backbone of construction and engineering firms.
- Document controllers - A document controller oversees the daily management of documents on a project. They’re required in construction to assist engineers with engineering drawings and architectural drawings. They also ensure paperwork is filed correctly and sent to the client in an efficient manner. Typical activities include numbering and identification of documents, filing, and performing quality and compliance checks on documents.
- Bids and proposal coordinator - The primary purpose of the bid coordinator is to coordinate the preparation and submission of completed tenders for allocated projects.
If you have specific industry experience and the relevant skill set, there are currently great opportunities at CGC to utilise your expertise.
Connect with us
The construction and engineering market has experienced increased levels of activity. Opportunities have been on the rise since lockdown ceased and people are slowly returning back into the office.
If you’re a skilled administration professional seeking new pastures, we’d love to connect with you and help you secure your next job.
If you’d like a confidential discussion to cover opportunities or market insights, please get in touch via the contact details below.
Mikaila O’Brien, Senior Consultant
I look forward to hearing from you!
About CGC Recruitment
There are currently strong opportunities to grow your career in administration support, accounting/finance, HR and marketing across the construction and engineering disciplines. If you think you meet the criteria for roles in this sector, contact us today.
Advice on how to acquire new skills, career planning, and tips on how to find the right recruitment agency are just some of the tools CGC recruitment can assist you on your professional journey.
CGC Recruitment is a team of highly-motivated, experienced recruitment consultants, offering candidates unique industry insights. We ensure our candidates are offered a consistently high level of service at every engagement. Contact us today to find out more.