The redevelopment of the Police-Citizens Youth Clubs (‘PCYC’) Fortitude Valley facility is moving forward in 2020 and will be a welcome contributor to Brisbane’s inner city community facilities and...Read more
New year, new job - How to stand out from the crowd
New year, new job - How to stand out from the crowd
The new year is approaching - bringing in new possibilities and perhaps a new beginning! Right now, you might be considering a change in the workplace, career, or industry.
While the infrastructure industry is currently candidate driven - presenting favourable results for job seekers - making the decision to switch roles is not an easy one. In fact, research has shown 75% of Australians who are currently searching for a new job, have been looking for up to six months.
For job seekers looking to boost their career prospects for the new year, it’s imperative to be prepared and ready before you secure your next role.
The benefits of looking for a new job in the new year
Changing jobs can be a stressful process - but very rewarding when you find the right one! There are several benefits to starting a new role in the new year.
- A fresh start - The new year provides a fantastic opportunity for a fresh start. If professional development or learning is on your new year’s resolution list, then a new job might be the perfect avenue to achieve this goal.
- A higher salary - Unhappy with your current pay? If you’ve been employed at your current position for a while with minimal pay increases, there’s a chance you’re underpaid. A new job can offer you a more competitive salary. Switching jobs at the right time can be a smart move. Skilled workers in demand who change jobs could receive a pay rise of up to 20%, thanks to Australia’s current tight labour market.
- Gain valuable new skills - These days, employers are searching for well-rounded candidates. This includes having both soft and hard skills. A new role offers opportunities for job seekers to grow personally and professionally, assisting you to advance in your career.
5 simple ways to stand out from other jobseekers
So you’ve found the perfect role and think you’re the perfect candidate. But guess what? You’re not the only one.
Luckily, there are several proven methods to help get you noticed - and allow you to stand out from everyone else with their eye on the same role.
1. Personalise your resume for the role - It sounds obvious but it’s important to ensure your resume is up-to-date and pointing out the right details for the role. Showcase and highlight your experiences and skills with the requirements of the job role advertised. Be sure to include metrics of how your hard work positively impacted the company’s success.
2. Be specific in accomplishments in your resume and cover letter - Additionally, while it’s great to include words such as ‘team player’ or ‘results driven’, make sure you provide specific examples of how you have these attributes.
It’s also crucial to include information about projects and accomplishments you’ve achieved, and the outcome. For example, you could say you improved Y by X, which resulted in Z.
3. Do your research - A typical question in an interview is ‘What do you know about our organisation?’. Most candidates will conduct their research based on the About Us page of their website. If you want to stand out, follow their social media pages (LinkedIn) and read their annual report to attain a more intimate overview of their wins, values, and culture.
4. Sell yourself during the interview stage - Another common interview question is ‘Why should I hire you?’. To answer this question effectively, focus on one or two unique selling points to differentiate yourself from the others. Provide a short summary of who you are, your qualifications, and relevant experience. In order to create the perfect ‘elevator pitch’, explain what it is about the role or organisation that attracted you to apply. Highlight your interest and how it fits with your career and personal development goals.5. Demonstrate a growth mindset - We always recommend our clients (the employers) to not only hire for today, but for the future. That’s why candidates need to demonstrate their willingness and enthusiasm to be agile - taking on new skills and being flexible should the business evolve. Ensure you communicate you are not afraid to learn new things, and that you’ll be an asset to the company. Not just today, but in five to 10 years’ time.
Is 2023 your year?
As with many industries and professions, there’s huge competition for roles. While you may have excellent qualifications and a winning personality - chances are, so will other candidates. So it’s important to ensure you stand out from the pack.
The job market is buzzing with activity right now, with many employees actively searching for top tier talent. Apply our effective tips on how to stand out during your job hunting to increase your chances of success, and get the job you want and deserve!
About CGC Recruitment
If you’re considering a career change and require professional advice, CGC Recruitment can help get your career moving.
CGC Recruitment is a specialist consultancy with offices in Sydney and Brisbane. We specialise in fulfilling roles in the construction, infrastructure, engineering, and architecture sectors at all levels. As a leading industry recruiter, we always have a long list of opportunities for ambitious and professional individuals.
As we continue to investigate major infrastructure projects set to transform Queensland and New South Wales in our Projects in Focus series, we focus on the Three Residential Towers at 108 Lambert...Read more
Despite market and economic uncertainties, our experts believe that the construction and engineering sectors are well placed to continue playing a key role in the Australian economy as a job creator.Read more
Finding a professional recruiter who can effectively find you the perfect engineering job can be difficult and confusing.Read more